The digital marketing industry has enjoyed an exponential growth in the past few years, and the industry’s job market is currently booming with lots of opportunities for the graduates who have the necessary skills. These opportunities are predicted to increase even further with most organizations and brands now placing more focus on digital marketing, which is expected to create a high demand for digital marketing specialists (http://adage.com/article/digital/80-companies-increase-digital-marketing-budgets/296814/). However, despite this high demand of skills, the job market is becoming increasingly competitive, as more people obtain the necessary qualifications. Therefore, if you are aspiring to land a good job in the digital marketing industry, you must stand out from the rest of aspirants and be noticed by the employers. Below is a look at how you can gain the attention of the employers and increase your chances of securing a good digital marketing job.
1. Obtain the necessary skills: The first step to landing a digital marketing job is ensuring that you have the necessary skills that the employers are looking for. This means that you must attend a certified digital marketing learning institute and obtain a degree, diploma, or certificate in the digital marketing field you are interested in.
In addition, you should continue to further your studies by taking a post-graduate digital marketing or professional qualification course(https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/finding-perfect-course-develop-your-digital-marketing-marco-muscroft). This will ensure that you are familiar with the latest trends in the industry, which will help to boost your chances of landing a good job. Taking further studies will also show prospective employers that you are committed to improving your skills, which will give you an edge of other job applicants.
2. Gain some work experience: Nowadays, almost all employers require you to have some few years of experience when applying for a job, and this norm is very popular in the digital marketing industry. Therefore, before you start seeking a digital marketing job, you should first ensure that you have some work experience. One of the best ways of doing this is by obtaining an internship during and after your studies, which will help you to gain valuable work experience and develop important skills. You can also create your own work experience using freelance work, or volunteering to run digital marketing campaigns. This will provide you with great work experience, and at the same time, show prospective employers that you possess the initiative to build your skills.
3. Create and maintain a professional social profile: Nowadays, employers are turning to social media when recruiting candidates, with the hope of finding the best talent in the industry that they can then approach. In addition, most employers are using social media to research how suitable candidates are for the digital jobs they are offering (https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/trends-and-forecasting/research-and-surveys/pages/social-media-recruiting-screening-2015.aspx). Therefore, creating a social media profile that lists your qualifications, skills, and experience can help you be noticed by prospective employers, thus earning you an opportunity at a good job. However, while creating your social media profile, you should beware that most employers also use the platform as a way of screening the candidates. Therefore, you should maintain a high level of professionalism in all your posts, and ensure your posts or comments would not embarrass you or your future employer.
4. Follow companies you are interested in: When you are searching for a digital advertising job, one of the best ways of being noticed by prospective employers is by engaging with various companies that recruit digital marketing specialists. Therefore, you should follow companies, organizations, and brands you are interested in working for on social media, and comment on the posts they make. You can also engage with them on other platforms, such as their blogs, and join in on the conversations that are of interest to you. This will help to get you on their radar, and show them and other prospective employers that you like keeping up to date with the latest news and trends in the industry. In addition, you will easily come across important information, for example, job vacancies, seeing as how several companies now advertise vacant positions using social media.
5. Attend events, forums, and exhibitions: When you are searching for a job, you should also make a point of attending industry events such as forums, exhibitions, conferences, and seminars, where you can learn first-hand how the digital marketing industry works. These events also give you a great opportunity of networking with various professionals in the digital marketing industry. In addition, you can acquire important knowledge and skills, which can help you to land a good job; employers will be impressed by seeing that you have attended several industry events.
6. Conduct extensive research on job opportunities: In order to land a good digital marketing job, you must be looking out for vacancies when they happen to become available. Therefore, you must know where and when to find listed vacancies, and then embark on applying for the jobs. One of the best places of finding listed vacancies is on social media, where most companies in the digital marketing industry usually post job opportunities. You can also use search engines to hunt for a job, and even sign up for job alerts, where you will be sure to receive many digital marketing jobs that you might be qualified for (http://www.spherelondon.co.uk/jobs).
7. Hire a recruitment company: Hunting for a job is a long and tiring process, which can get frustrating very fast. Other times, the job opportunities are not listed on public forums, thus making it very easy for you to miss them. Fortunately, there is a simple solution to this problem, which involves working with a recruitment company, such as Sphere (http://www.spherelondon.co.uk/). Hiring a recruitment company or agency makes it easy for you to hunt for a job, as they connect you with the potential employers who are seeking for the skills you have. Recruitment companies also possess a strong insight into the inner workings of the industry, and they are usually aware of vacancies that might not be known to many people. In addition, they can help you land a good job by anylsing your resume and providing you with important advice that you can use to develop your skill set, boost your applications, and prepare for interviews.
8. Prepare for your interview: The final step of landing a good digital marketing job involves the interview, as this is where the potential employers determine if you are a good fit for the position or not. Therefore, after applying and been shortlisted for a digital advertising job, you should thoroughly prepare for the interview to boost your chances of being offered the position. Preparation for the interview involves researching the company that shortlisted you and the key people in the management. You should also make sure you understand the roles and responsibilities of the position being offered to you.
In addition, when you arrive at the interview, you should impress the employers by arriving early enough, being friendly, confident, and engaging with the interviewer, answering all the questions asked to the best of your effort, and carrying yourself with a high level of professionalism throughout the interview. This will make a good impression on the interviewing panel, and boost your chances of getting the job (http://www.spherelondon.co.uk/blog/how-can-i-make-sure-i-have-a-great-interview).
Summary: Finding a job in the current economy can be quite tough, even if you have the right qualifications. Fortunately, if you are looking for a digital marketing job, the industry has been on the rise in the recent years, and the job market is currently booming. However, to land the job, you still have to impress the employers and stand out from the rest of the people who are applying for the position. The above tips can help you get on the radar of prospective employers in the digital marketing industry, and boost your chances of landing a good job.