The analysis of the information technology structure of an organisation is granted under consideration by an IS audit. It also involves fields of operations as well as software programs. The basic job of the auditor is to identify prospects through which the computer systems of the organisation can meet its needed in a better way. New systems are designed by configuring the software and hardware systems and programs. The systems are also tested to ensure that the network of systems is working properly without any trouble. The majority of the auditors are seen to be working in an office setting, wherein they primarily deal with the computer systems. In order to educate the clients’ systems, some auditors are often required to travel. However, this depends on the employer.
Most of the time, the auditors work independently, yet a little collaboration is required at times in order to manage larger projects. The IS auditor or rather the Information security auditor is seen to play significant roles in the present scenario. Therefore, CISA online training is found to open up doors to several opportunities. To quote from the adage, as stated in his book by Ron Weber, he has mentioned that in order to become a good auditor, it is essential to learn the prospects of a business in a better way than that of the clients. The major purpose of IS audit is to see and evaluate if the computer-based systems are successful in fulfilling the following aims, likely:-
- Maintaining the data integrity
- Safeguarding the assets
- Consumption of the resources in an efficient manner
- Effective achievement of the organisational objectives
In order to be a successful IS auditor, here are some tips:
- Learn the terms of expectations from the business: It is the job of the IS auditor to be thorough with the expectations of the business empire. This enables you to work effectively with the motto of expanding your business genre.
- Learn about your best IT practices: You ought to be updated with the new innovations and practices as this would assist you to yield benefits for the empire. This will also assist you to produce the best results in the empire.
- Assurance from experts: An information system is the broadest field of dependence for most of the businesses and that is the reason for which management systems call for assurance from the independent experts to rely on the smooth functioning of the system.
- CISA qualification: It often becomes a mandatory qualification for the Information Systems auditor. It is also implemented to uplift the status of the individual’s designation. The ISACA examines and certifies the CISA candidates to address their industry requirements.
- Meet the industry expectations: To become an expert, one must be well equipped with the ongoing strategies of the business. It is also essential to enhance the reflection of current trends in the IT sector.
- Know the best IS management practice: This domain is not restricted only to the prospects of information security but it rather covers all aspects of the IS. It describes the entire organisation structure that is implied in the IS department.
- Understanding the practices to plan the activities: It is essential to have an appropriate management structure at its place to learn more about the ongoing practices in the current scenario of outsourcing and downsizing.
- Be thorough with the technical infrastructure: This domain covers technologies pertaining to software, network and hardware. An expert is well aware of the measures to audit them along with the designated infrastructure.
- Study the types of databases: This is significant to track the records of the various job definitions of the IS system so that you can avail a fluency in the operational estimate of the empire. You must also have an idea about the telecommunications, LAN and the TCP / IP protocols of the system.
- Assure business continuity by implementing prospects of disaster recovery: The IS expert must raise a major focus on the critical area that deals in the availability of the information systems. The expert needs to own strength in ensuring the business impact analysis to update plans to be audited.
These codes of ethics and audit methodology will contribute together in overlapping the knowledge areas of the IS audit process.